The Bower is an award-winning environmental charity and a champion of reuse and repair. We are a not-for-profit committed to reducing landfill. Our range of services and programs are all based on the ethos of reuse and repair – this is the principal that guides everything we do.
By 2018, we’ll have been implementing the idea of circular economy in Sydney for 20 years.
The Bower is a registered charity with deductible gift recipient status, and you can donate to us directly on this website.
The Bower’s Objectives
- Avoiding and reducing the amount of ‘hard waste’ going to landfill.
- Raising awareness of the value of waste avoidance and reduction through resource recovery, reuse, repair and recycling.
- Generating employment opportunities and skills training in the community.
- Providing affordable goods sourced from the waste stream to low income earners and other disadvantaged groups in the community.
- Encouraging community awareness of environmentally responsible design and manufacture.
- Advocating for long-life design, repairable products and the use of sustainable, recyclable materials for appliances and furnishings.
- Providing benefits to the community via these objectives.
- Involving the community in the development and achievement of these objectives.
The Bower’s Threefold Mission
- Environment: to reduce the amount of waste entering landfill by reclaiming household items for repair, reuse and resale.
- Creativity: to encourage reuse via repair and upcycle workshops.
- Community: to provide affordable goods to low-income earners and other disadvantaged groups and to generate local employment.
The Bower’s Management Values
- We operate from integrity. We say what we do and we do what we say
- We encourage initiative. We are proactive, resourceful and learn from our experiences
- We advocate transparency. We embrace diversity, open communication and encourage colleagues to evolve within the origination
- We preform ethically. We deliver quality and economically, environmentally and socially sound programs
- We administer equitable treatment. All stakeholders and business transactions are treated equal and fair to safeguard the Bower’s impartiality.