The Bower’s Mission is to:
- Reduce the amount of `hard waste’ going to landfill through education, repair, reuse and resale.
- Raise awareness of the value of waste reduction.
- Advocate for long life design, repairable products and the use of sustainable, recyclable materials for appliances and furnishings.
- Encourage community awareness of environmentally responsible design and manufacture.
- Provide affordable goods to low-income earners and other disadvantaged groups in the community.
- Involve the community in the development and achievement of these objectives.
- Generate employment opportunities and skills training in the community.
- Contribute to the social and environmental sustainability of the Sydney community via these objectives.
2018 Annual General Meeting
The 2018 Bower Annual General Meeting will be held on Saturday 17 November from 2pm – 4pm. The meeting will be held at Hut 5 in the Addison Road Community Centre, 142 Addison Road Marrickville.
The following documents pertain to the 2018 AGM:
- Michelle Sheather Director Nomination Form
- Ruth Catlin Director Nomination Form
- Antonio Turri Director Nomination Form
- Power of attorney
- Agenda 2018 AGM
- Draft Minutes 2017 AGM
The Bower Governance Documents
- The Bower’s Business Plan 2016~2021
- The Bower’s Strategic Plan 2018-2022
- Bower Rules Final (23-09-15)
- Governance for Good – The ACNC’s Guide for Charity Board Members
- Co-operatives Compliance Checklist
- Bower Conflict of Interest Policy
Past Annual General Meetings
- 2016 AGM Minutes
- Financial Report 1617FY
- Annual Report 1617FY
- The Bower 2016 Annual Report
- The Bower 2016 Financial Statements
- The Bower 2015 Annual Report
- The Bower 2015 Financial Statements
- The Bower AGM Minutes 2014
- Financial Report 2013 – 2014
- Final Annual Report 2014
- The Bower AGM Minutes 2013
- Annual General Meeting 2013
- Annual Report 2012- 2013
- Audited Financial Report 2012 – 2013
- Bower AGM Minutes 2012
- The Bower Annual Report 2012
- Auditor’s Financial Report FY 2011/2012
Become a Member of The Bower
As a co-operative and environmental charity specialising in repair and re-use, we rely on the support and commitment of our members. The Bower’s strength and ability to keep doing what it does well is very much related to the strength and diversity of its membership and community. Becoming a Bower member is a great way to support our work and be rewarded for it.
Members of the Bower receive the following benefits:
1. A membership loyalty card which gives a $10 discount after five shops of $10 or more
2. The opportunity to be involved in the Bower’s consignment program and sell restored goods in the Bower’s shops at Marrickville and Parramatta
3. Eligibility to join the Bower’s board as a member director and have a say in the governance of your co-operative
4. Voting rights at General Meetings
Bower memberships run from 1 July – 30 June each year. Annual membership fees are payable on July 1st each year and include GST. There are four membership categories:
1. Individual ($15): waged/part-waged.
2. Individual Concession ($10): applications for concession membership must show proof of approved concession card e.g. student, Centrelink or Pensioner card.
3. Household ($20): up to five persons can be identified on a household membership. They must all share a common household address.
4. Organisation ($40): applications for organisation membership must describe the activities, aims and objectives, and legal basis of the organisation before applying for membership.
New members who join after 1 January are eligible to pay half the annual amount for their first year to 30 June.
Requirements of being a Member
Along with paying the annual membership fee, Bower Members are required to fulfil one of the following criteria each membership year in order for their membership to be classified as ‘active’:
(i) Donate goods for sale to the Bower to a value of at least $2; or
(ii) Purchase goods from the Bower to a value of at least $2; or
(iii) Promote and assist with the activities of the Bower in a voluntary capacity for a period of at least one hour.
If you prefer, you can complete the Membership Form and return to The Bower.